Winter health key points
Below is an infographic which provides some additional considerations for over the winter months.
Hands, face, space
- Keep your hands clean and use hand sanitiser that is at least 75% alcohol-based.
- Avoid indoor spaces or contact with others if you have any cold/flu like symptoms
- Consider wearing a mask (covering your mouth and nose) when indoors, especially in poorly ventilated spaces, or on public transport.
- Get the flu jab – make an appointment at your local SIS office If eligible, get your COVID vaccine booster
- Prioritise sleep and understand your sleep needs.
- Get enough good quality sleep to help your body recover, maintain your immune system and perform well.
Support your immune system and performance with good nutrition.
- Eat a wide range of fruit and vegetables to maintain your health during the winter.
- Include protein rich foods in you main meals and snacks
- Be appropriately fuelling for each training session
- Don’t delay your refuelling strategy
- Maintain hydration and avoid sharing drinks bottles
- Adults over the age of 18 should consider supplementing with a batch tested/ pharmaceutical graide 2000IU of Vitamin D per day from October to the end of March. If unsure please speak to a member of the SIS medical or nutrition team or see the Vit D infographic for more information.